.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, January 09, 2014

 

Sunspot AR 1944 Still Looking Awesome

Sunspot AR 1944 imaged using my Canon IXUS  (400 ASA) and 4" Newtonian (infinity to infinity focussing with a 25 mm eyepiece) on 9 January at 7:00 pm AEST,  AR 1944 is the largest one just above the middle. Click to embiggenSunspot AR 1944 imaged using my Canon IXUS  (400 ASA) and 4" Newtonian (infinity to infinity focussing with a 25 mm eyepiece) on 7 January at 8:00 pm AEST,  AR 1944 is the largest one in the middle. The white circle at the top is lens reflection. Click to embiggenSunspot AR 1944 imaged using my Canon IXUS  (400 ASA) and 4" Newtonian (infinity to infinity focussing with a 25 mm eyepiece) on 5 January. There are multiple sunspots, AR 1944 is the one shaped like Australia (see inset) with New Zealand off to the right. Click to embiggen

Giant Sunspot AR 1944 is still awesome as it begins to rotate off the Sun (compare the images above taken on the 9th (today) with the 7th and the 5th). I could still easily see it this afternoon with just eclipse viewing glasses, I've used a bigger Zoom than before (not intentionally, I was trying to match the previous images) I used two pairs of glasses to try and enlarge the preview image, so I think my focus is better.


For aurora fans waiting breathlessly, the geomagnetic storm hasn't hit yet.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?